Banned Books Week Begins!

It is downright unAmerican to allow anyone to tell you what books you can or cannot read.

–Dana Stabenow

Banned Books Week: Celebrating the Freedom to Read

September 24−October 1, 2011

Go here to read the top ten most frequently challenged books of 2010.

And lest we forget, just last month Sherlock Holmes was banned for being anti-Mormon.

Rebel!

Click here to buy your own copy of A Study in Scarlet!

Don’t let the revolution start without you!

image from http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/bannedbooksweek/ideasandresources/index.cfm

Support your local libraries! Support your local bookstores! Celebrate the power of the book!

Posted in Chatter and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark this.

7 Comments on Banned Books Week Begins!

1. Leonard Boyak says:

We here in Toledo have one of the best libraries in the country( top ten ). I mean they’ve dvds, cds, software, xbox game systems, computers, internet. They asking for more and more tax money.:-(

2. Leonard Boyak says:

Of course when I was younger I would check out books every week. I am a avid reader.:-D

3. John Sims says:

Thanks for reminding us, Dana. I try to read at least one “challenged” book a year as a symbolic “middle finger salute” to the people and groups that want to ban books. It was by reading a challenged book that I discovered one of my favorite authors, Tamora Pierce!

And now one of mine.

5. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems to me that 99.999% of the people in favor of banning a book have never read said book! I am against the banning of any book and cannot understand why anyone thinks they have the right to tell other people what they can and cannot read!

The first time I was aware of a book banning movement, was when I was a student librarian in high school (1960ish) and the book was one by Zane Grey. The reason was because it contained the word “damn”!

O.K. this old literature major and former English teacher is down from her soapbox now.

If you don’t want to read a book, don’t read it. Don’t tell me I can’t read it.
    If you don’t want your kids to read a book, don’t let them read it. Don’t tell my kids they can’t read it, and don’t make it impossible for them to read it by trying to get it banned from your local library or their school library.

My mother never curated what I read, and it certainly didn’t hurt me any.

7. Johanna says:

Zane Grey’s “Riders of the Purple Sage”: talk about “anti-Mormon”!
    It’s offered by Project Gutenberg.