Why Bad Blood ends the way it does.

I chatted with the Danamaniacs last Wednesday, and was reminded that Barbara Peters told me she didn’t want to be in the room when you all got to the end of Bad Blood. I told her not to worry, that I’d already been through the fire with Hunter’s Moon.

Now, as then, the, um, decibel level of your response is an enormous compliment to the series, and to me, whether you meant it that way or not. So thank you again.

This is what I told the ‘maniacs.

SPOILER ALERT

1. Newton was right. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. What Kate did in “Nooses Give” comes back to haunt her with a vengeance. Some times the reaction happens instantly, like a chain reaction in a nuclear bomb. Sometimes it takes years. As in Bad Blood.

2. Mickey Spillane said, “The last line sells the next book.” The ending of Bad Blood, dear readers, is what we in the trade call a hook. That last scene in Bad Blood sells the next book to you, but more importantly to me. There will be serious consequences, for Kate, for Mutt, for Jim, the aunties, and all the rest of the Park rats. I myself don’t know everything that happens next. I can’t wait to find out.

3. Kate has lost people, but she has never really looked into the abyss for herself. On a real, visceral level, she has never experienced that point every human being comes to, the realization that her time on this earth is not unlimited.

If you’re paying attention, a near-death experience will change your life. A lot you thought was important just falls away. You realize how much unfinished business you have to clean up, and how short your time is to get that done. You stop being afraid to say “I love you” to the people who matter.

Kate has always been good at paying attention, and there is plenty in her “Unfinished Business” column.

4. Hello? This is the Kate Shugak series? Whatever made you think anyone was safe in here?

and

5. I love to torture you.

The ‘maniacs will be posting a full transcript of the chat soon. Join them on Facebook and you can read it, too.

In the end, you could trust me to know what I’m doing. And if you just can’t, well, I’ll let Darth Vader speak for me:

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.”

Posted in Chatter, Teaser Tuesday, The Kate Shugak Novels. Bookmark this.

363 Comments on Why Bad Blood ends the way it does.

Thanks, Deborah!

2. Ann-Margaret Venditti says:

Just finished “Bad Blood” and so did not see that ending coming. Had to jump online to see if there is talk of “Kate 21″. Thank God, there is. Now, I can sleep tonight. Please, please, please save Mutt. We lost our wolf/husky mix at the age of 15 while living in AK. Guess I have a special place in my heart for Mutt. Thank you Dana for Kate and Liam. We are an Air Force family that was lucky enough to live in AK for two years and everytime that I start missing it, which is daily, I start reading your books and I am instantly transported right back. Your books are a great escape for me in this nomad life that my family leads. For that, I am forever grateful. Just finished the “Kate” series….. again, so now I will spend some time with Liam. 2016 can’t get here soon enough!

Thanks so much, Ann-Margaret.

4. bg says:

Finished all of Kate. Finished the 4 Liam. Can’t afford to move to Alaska now….need more.

And thanks you!

Thank you, bg! Look for Kate21 in 2016.

6. N Grossen says:

I’m relieved to find out that Kate is coming back, but disappointed that it isn’t for another 2 years.. Liam is nice but Kate and Mutt are the ones that keep the interest going.

7. Debra Deering says:

Love the Kate and Liam series. I’m waiting for the next one from each series.

8. Maggie Jo Pullar says:

I just finished Bad Blood and was stunned at the ending! Kate and Mutt MUST recover. They are like family to me! Do we have to wait until 2016?

9. Helen teys says:

I was holidaying in Alaska when I read kate shugack no 20 and I felt like I’d list my best friend. The thought of no more kate made me so sad so glad to hear there will be a no 21.?

10. Kate says:

When I finished Bad Blood I had to read the last couple chapters over again just to make sure it really did end that way and that I didn’t miss anything along the way. You’re right 21 is as good as bought! Thank you for creating this wonderful series.

Thanks so much, Kate.