I love hot soup on a cold day.

Try this one.

Saute half a medium onion, chopped, in a little olive oil.
Add a clove of garlic, squished.

Pour in a can of Italian stewed tomatoes.
Add a couple of tablespoons of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped.
Add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste.

Pour in a cup of chicken broth and a dollop of red wine.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for thirty minutes or so. As in let it reduce a little.

Garnish with homemade croutons and maybe a little shaved Parmesan and serve immediately.

Cook’s variations on a theme:
*Start it with bacon. Come on, you know you want to.
*Add penne as the last ingredient, bring to a boil and simmer until al dente.
*Add Italian sausage. Or Polish sausage. Or moose sausage.

Cook’s homage:
*My recipe is a rif off of this one at BHG.com.

Posted in Chatter, Random Friday and tagged , . Bookmark this.

8 Comments on I love hot soup on a cold day.

1. Carol MacDonnell says:

Sounds good, and rather like a recipe I love. Add a dollop of pesto to the bowl, kicks it up another notch!

No end to the variations. It comes down to how many tomatoes of what kind I have around the house.

3. Marge L. says:

Like your version better than theirs. Thanks.

4. Stephanie Faulkner says:

For sure… thrown in a little Tandoori or Madras curry paste – just a little – flavor is awesome and it warms you to your toes.
    Merry Christmas! Stef

5. Lehrae says:

If it calls for potatoes, then to save time, I use frozen cubed hash browns, you don’t have to peel or cut. Another option is to add about 6 teaspoons of barley to make it more hearty.

I’ll throw in a dried chipotle chile if I have one on hand. Adds a lovely smoky flavor.

7. Kathryn says:

I will make this with tomatoes I have frozen. I am going to add a bit of balsamic vinegar for sass and probably some kale. Thank you.

Sounds yummy, Kathryn.